Monday, March 4, 2013

Carbonara Pasta

If you had never had this dish, you are in for a treat!
This is a very Italian dish...
even if the bacon and eggs combination sounds truly American.

Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Latium, and more specifically to Rome, based on eggs, cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano),bacon (guanciale or pancetta), and black pepperSpaghetti is usually used as the pasta, however, fettuccinerigatoni or bucatini can also be used.  The hot pasta is combined with a mixture of raw eggs, cheese, and a fat (butter, olive oil, or cream) away from additional direct heat to avoid coagulating the egg.The eggs should create a creamy sauce, and not curdle. Guanciale is the most commonly used meat, but pancetta and local bacon are also used.
Cream is not common in Italian recipes, but is often used elsewhere.Garlic is similarly found mostly outside Italy.


My husband LOVES this dish. 
Ok, he loves most of my cooking, 
but this one has a special place in his heart.
In fact, according to him, he knew I was the one after I made him this dish for the first time.
So, if you are single, I would suggest you become a master in making this dish.
Anyhow,
this truly is an easy great pasta dish.

Ingredients

1lb dry pasta (bucatini if you can)
5 eggs
5 slices of bacon
handful of Parmesan cheese

First of all, chop the bacon
and scramble the eggs.
Brown/fry the bacon in a pot, while your pot of water is coming to a boil.
Cook your pasta,
then add the cooked and drained pasta to the cooked bacon.

Add the uncooked scrambled eggs and the Parmesan cheese, then stir well.
The eggs will "cook" since the pasta is super hot and the pot is hot too.
Leave the pasta in the pot for a few minutes, stirring again and serve hot.

Most Italians will top the pasta with red pepper.

This is SO GOOD!

Stay Frugal,



18 comments:

Leslie Harris said...

Oh my goodness, I can't stop drooling. this is my favorite pasta dish. This and pesto. And I know it's low cal right? haha. Thanks for the recipe I will definitely try this.
Leslie (Gwen Moss)

NanaDiana said...

I am copying this recipe to try sometime soon, Dani. It sounds really wonderful!!!! xo Diana

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Simple ingredients all blended deliciously together. YUM!

Unknown said...

You had me at "pasta and bacon"! Thanks for sharing the recipe

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! If we had bacon I would be making this tonight! YUM!
Thank you for the recipe.

~Liz

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Daniela,
You present this in a yummy way. Only for those that have to watch cholesterol, I bet we could use egg beaters for it as well; have to try it!
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Unknown said...

Now I've gotta try that!

Revi said...

This sounds SO good! I've had it before in restaurants, but never knew about the egg. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.
-Revi

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Yum this is a favorite of mine!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I've never had this and it sounds amazing! I can't wait to try this recipe out. :) Megan

Meredith @ The Laundry Can Wait said...

This kind of a dish has a special place in my heart, too. I really need to try this out. {It's 1 am, and I wish I had a plate right now!}

XOXO,
Meredith

Unknown said...

I've been eating this dish for years and years in restaurants and NEVER knew there was egg in it !!!
Pinning this recipe most definitely!
Thanks for sharing Dani!
Hugs,
Suzan

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

Che buona la Carbonara Daniela. Un piatto preferito anche di mio marito... Lo faccio spesso, un po diverso dal tuo.

Fashion Riddles said...

Ciao Daniela, la carbonara รจ il piatto preferito di tanti... Come dargli torto?
Siamo nuove followers con gfc, ti va di ricambiare?
V
www.fashionriddles.com

Unknown said...

We love Carbonara at our house too! It is a no-fail recipe that always wins rave reviews! Thanks for sharing it at the Rock N Share!

Libby said...

I've had Carbonara before and it is quite good. So, hummmm....what they say is true then. You've got to feed the man to win his heart. :-)

Unknown said...

This looks amazing Dani! Your family is so blessed to have such a talented lady cooking for them :)

xo, Tanya
twelveOeight

Revi said...

I made this tonight, and it was wonderful! I'll definitely do it again.
-Revi